AutoInterests Updates and Plans regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation
Last Updated: April 1, 2020 11:31AM Eastern
EVENTS IMPACTED ARE LISTED BELOW - ALL OTHER EVENT REGISTRATIONS REMAIN OPEN AND ARE INTENDED TO BE HELD AS PLANNED WITH ADDED PRECAUTIONS AS EXPLAINED BELOW
- 2020 Summit Point Season Opener HPDE - April 25-26 - CANCELED
(registered drivers will be contacted directly by customer service within a few business days)
Our staff is safe and has always been equipped to work remotely; we remain fully available to support drivers.
AutoInterests has been monitoring resources from the World Health Organization and United States CDC along with applicable state and local authorities about this situation. The AutoInterests HPDE event season is several weeks away from beginning; we expect fluidity until then and will make ongoing adjustments to our plans as appropriate. Of course, we hope the situation improves over the coming weeks and our hearts go out to all who are affected.
We urge everyone to follow the guidelines recommended by public health officials to contain this situation for the benefit of everyone. Information and guidelines from the United States CDC can be found here.
IF AN EVENT YOU ARE REGISTERED FOR IS CANCELED - as explained in our Refund & Purchasing Policy, you will be issued a store credit to use for a future event. Registered drivers of any canceled event will be contacted by customer service with details.
AutoInterests Plans & Procedures:
On March 15, 2020 the United States CDC release guidelines for "Mass Gathering or Large Community Events" linked here. AutoInterests is equipped to operate events in compliance with these guidelines which, in general, stipulate that vulnerable populations are protected, and the enforcement of good hand hygiene and social distancing.
At this time events will continue as planned with added precautions including:
- Anybody exhibiting signs of a respiratory illness at an event - excessive coughing, sneezing, fever, etc. will be immediately asked to leave. The only exception will be if our on-site professional medical staff conduct a diagnostic/risk assessment and determine the participant is safe to remain.
- Participants who have any type of respiratory illness are asked to refrain from attending events, and;
- Any drivers infected with a contagious illness or engaged in a quarantine (mandatory or voluntary) that affects their ability to attend an event will receive the same coverage for documented medical cancellations as provided in our HPDE Protection Plans at no extra charge through May 3, 2020. Any extension will be announced at a later date.
- Technology is being implemented to conduct driver meetings via mobile devices that do not require close-proximity physical gatherings
- Driver meetings will be held in outdoor settings only until further notice
- Technology is being implemented to allow the usage of personal devices to sign electronic waivers rather than shared kiosks/tablets
- Extra sanitizing procedures for shared kiosks/tablets and other surfaces will be conducted
- AutoInterests staff will be equipped with cleaning supplies and supplementing venue staff in routinely sanitizing commonly touched surfaces.
- AutoInterests staff will receive training aligned with CDC and public health resources on avoidance of common contact points, social distancing and sanitizing procedures.
- All Staff & Instructor meals will be served in a "grab-and-go" format; there will be no open serving dishes or shared utensils
- There may be a limit on the number of spectators that can attend any event, this will be announced closer to each individual event and will depend on how this situation evolves.
- Instructors and students will have the option to conduct lead-follow and observational instruction rather than in-car at their discretion. If either party is uncomfortable with in-car, then an alternative observational method will be used.
- AutoInterests has ordered a rental inventory of in-car communicator headsets. Previously these would be shared between students, the rental supply ensures these are not shared between students on any given day. These will be available at just $5/day to cover costs.
- Rental in-car communicator headsets will only be permitted to be used by one person per day, will be sanitized at the end of each day, and foam microphone baffles will be discarded and replaced with new ones.
Rental Helmets - If you have already rented a helmet online through us it will continue to be available and we have enhanced our sanitizing procedures as follows::
- Rental Helmets may only be used by one person per day
- We have purchased helmet sanitizing machines: all rental helmets will run for a full 20 minute heat and ozone cycle after every use
- We have always used a sanitizing spray on our helmets; this is being enhanced to a new, more rigorous, two-step process comprised of two different sprays in addition to cycling on the helmet sanitizer equipment
- Only disposable headsocks will be used (no washable ones).
If you are still uncomfortable using a Rental Helmet with the enhanced sanitizing procedures, refunds are available:
- Drivers are encouraged to purchase their own helmet if uncomfortable using a rental.
- We will issue a cash refund (or bonus amount store credit of $30) if you purchase your own helmet through our partner, Summit Racing Equipment.
- We are working on obtaining coupons from Summit Racing Equipment to assist in managing costs associated with this.
- To take advantage of the rental helmet refund/credit program you must e-mail us with a copy of your Summit Racing Equipment helmet receipt bearing your own name and a purchase date on or after March 12, 2020. Refund/credit offer not available for purchases made through any other vendor. This offer expires April 30, 2020 and is ONLY valid on helmet rental orders placed BEFORE March 12, 2020.
As always, the health and safety of our drivers and staff are of the utmost importance to us. We are prepared to continue to invest as much as it takes in supplies, technology and equipment to make our events safe in this challenging environment.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out. We are hopeful that conditions are vastly improved by the time our season starts. AutoInterests will be closely monitoring the situation and provide updates as appropriate.