AutoInterests Updates and Plans regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation
Last Updated: May 18, 2020 10:12PM Eastern
EVENTS IMPACTED ARE LISTED BELOW - ALL OTHER EVENT REGISTRATIONS REMAIN OPEN AND ARE INTENDED TO BE HELD AS PLANNED WITH ADDED PRECAUTIONS AS EXPLAINED BELOW
- 2020 Summit Point Season Opener HPDE - April 25-26 - CANCELED
- 2020 PittRace Season Opener HPDE - May 2-3 - CANCELED
- 2020 Mid-Ohio Season Opener - original date of May 11, rescheduled to May 18 - RESCHEDULED - now June 1st - 100% confirmed
(registered drivers have been contacted directly by customer service, will open to other drivers soon)
Our staff is safe and has always been equipped to work remotely; we remain fully available to support drivers.
AutoInterests continuously monitors COVID-19 guidance from the United States CDC and applicable state and local authorities within the jurisdictions where we operate. Much of the current environment is fluid and our plans will be continuously updated as appropriate.
IF AN EVENT YOU ARE REGISTERED FOR IS CANCELED - as explained in our Refund & Purchasing Policy, you will be issued a store credit to use for a future event. Registered drivers of any canceled event will be contacted by customer service with details.
AutoInterests Plans & Procedures:
On March 15, 2020 the United States CDC release guidelines for "Mass Gathering or Large Community Events" linked here. AutoInterests is equipped to operate events in compliance with these guidelines which, in general, stipulate that vulnerable populations are protected, and the enforcement of good hand hygiene and social distancing.
Any drivers infected with a contagious illness or engaged in a quarantine (mandatory or voluntary) that affects their ability to attend an event will receive the same coverage for documented medical cancellations as provided in our HPDE Protection Plans at no extra charge through May 31, 2020. Any extension will be announced at a later date.
Our philosophy surrounding many of these rules and added safety measures centers around personal responsibility, as it always has. There are many risks associated with driving on-track, just as there are risks with going anywhere outside of your home. We cannot guarantee that anybody will not get COVID-19, we can only do our best to implement safety measures recommended by professionals. Therefore, each individual must asses his/her own risk tolerance and take personal responsibility for their own safety. We give you many penalty-free options to make this work.
General New Rules:
- Anybody exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 or respiratory illness will be immediately asked to leave (or denied entry). The only exception will be if our on-site professional medical staff conduct a diagnostic/risk assessment and determine the participant is safe to remain.
- Participants may be required to have temperatures taken to enter the premises
- Participants may be required to complete a "health attestation"
- Individuals identified as "vulnerable populations" per CDC guidelines are asked to refrain from attending any events and will be offered full store credit for a future event for any 2020 events they are already registered for
- Pre-Check-In Technology allows contactless electronic waiver signature prior to the event
- There may be a limit on the number of spectators that can attend any event
**WATCH FOR PRE-EVENT E-MAILS AND READ CAREFULLY - REQUIREMENTS MAY VARY PER TRACK/STATE** Details of the above will be e-mailed approximately 1 week prior to each event.
Driver Procedures At The Track:
- Contactless tech inspection/waiver procedures have been implemented - tech inspection will be "drive-through" style - drivers stay in cars in normal tech lines
- Driver meetings will be held at the regular time, live streamed to mobile devices so close-proximity meetings are not required
- Anybody without the capability to stream via mobile device can attend socially distanced, outdoor versions of driver meetings where needed.
- Drivers must maintain space in the paddock - do not park directly next to each other, keep social distance by using roughly every-other space
- No handshaking or other direct physical contact with other individuals
General Additional Protective Measures:
- Hand sanitizing stations will be placed throughout each event
- Event staff will be required to wear masks and PPE
- Hospitality items and other purchases at the track will be cashless (credit cards only - contactless payments available e.g. - Apple Pay, etc)
- AutoInterests will have dedicated sanitizing staff supplementing venue staff in routinely sanitizing commonly touched surfaces.
- AutoInterests staff will receive training aligned with CDC and public health resources on avoidance of common contact points, social distancing and sanitizing procedures.
- All Staff & Instructor meals will be served in a "grab-and-go" format; there will be no open serving dishes or shared utensils
- Instructors and students will have the option to conduct lead-follow and observational instruction rather than in-car at their discretion - this is an option in your autointerests.com user profile - please login and select an option. If either party is uncomfortable with in-car, then an alternative observational method will be used. This is an exercise in personal responsibility.
- Where in-car instruction does take place all drivers and instructors must wear face coverings, wash hands frequently and the driver must sanitize the vehicle interior before & after with special attention to common touch points. Instructors will be supplied with wipes and sanitizing supplies.
- "Download" sessions must take place socially-distanced OUTSIDE of the car.
- AutoInterests has a rental inventory of in-car communicator headsets. Previously these would be shared between students, the rental supply ensures these are not shared between students on any given day. These will be available at just $5/day.
- Rental in-car communicator headsets will only be permitted to be used by one person per day, will be sanitized at the end of each day, and foam microphone baffles will be discarded and replaced with new ones.
Rental Helmets - If you have already rented a helmet online through us it will continue to be available and we have enhanced our sanitizing procedures as follows::
- Rental Helmets may only be used by one person per day
- We have purchased helmet sterilizing machines: all rental helmets will run for a full 20 minute heat and ozone cycle after every use
- We have always used a sanitizing spray on our helmets; this is being enhanced to a new, more rigorous, two-step process comprised of two different sprays in addition to cycling on the helmet sterilizer equipment
- Headsocks are mandatory and will be used only once & discarded.
If you are still uncomfortable using a Rental Helmet with the enhanced sanitizing procedures, refunds are available:
- Drivers are encouraged to purchase their own helmet if uncomfortable using a rental.
- We will issue a cash refund (or bonus amount store credit of $30) if you purchase your own helmet through our partner, Summit Racing Equipment.
- Coupons for Summit Racing Equipment purchases are available (just contact us to request one) to assist in managing costs associated with this.
- To take advantage of the rental helmet refund/credit program you must e-mail us with a copy of your Summit Racing Equipment helmet receipt bearing your own name and a purchase date on or after March 12, 2020. Refund/credit offer not available for purchases made through any other vendor. This offer expires May 31, 2020 and is ONLY valid on helmet rental orders placed BEFORE March 12, 2020.
As always, the health and safety of our drivers and staff are of the utmost importance to us. We are prepared to continue to invest as much as it takes in supplies, technology and equipment to make our events safe in this challenging environment.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out. We are hopeful that conditions are vastly improved by the time our season starts. AutoInterests will be closely monitoring the situation and provide updates as appropriate.