Must be SA2010 or newer. No DOT or M helmets.
SA2010 or newer is REQUIRED.
Absolutely no DOT-only or M-only rated helmets.
If your helmet is not SA2010 or SA2015, you will not be permitted to go on track.
Open face or full face is your choice - both are acceptable as long as it is SA2010 or newer.
A note to those with FIA standard helmets: FIA 8859-2015 helmets are acceptable. FIA 8860 helmets are NOT acceptable as they align to an outdated Snell SA2000 spec.
The ONLY exception to this is for students participating in the Acclimation Program: Any DOT approved helmet with protection for the top and both sides of head is acceptable. However, Snell SA2010 or higher helmets are HIGHLY recommended.
Why the SA rating?
As horsepower ratings on cars go up and tracks are setup to allow more speed it becomes important to upgrade safety equipment. Helmets MUST be SA2010 or newer rated to provide appropriate protection for drivers. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this.
The SA standard better protects you in the case of an accident within a vehicle, as they were specifically designed for automotive use.
The following information notes the differences between helmet types (found on the Snell Foundation's FAQ page):
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
- The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
- The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
- The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
- Long sleeve shirt (100% cotton recommended, short sleeve may be acceptable in extremely hot weather)
- Long pants (100% cotton recommended)
- Close toed, lace up shoes
You will NOT be permitted to go on track in shorts or open shoes.
What to bring for tech/check-in
- Driver’s License
- Helmet - SA2010 or newer (DOT or M only helmets are NOT accepted)
- Long pants and close-toe shoes are required!
Other useful items to consider bringing
- Large plastic container or bin to store all loose items from your car (floor mats, etc.)
- Bottled water or sports drinks
- Food and/or snacks
- Chapstick and/or eye drops (because you drive with the windows down!)
- 100% cotton shirt, long pants, and close-toed shoes
- Extra Fuel (there are pumps at some of the tracks but the prices are higher, and there is not always a gas station nearby)
- Consumables your car may need – fluids, brake pads, etc.
- Rain gear
- Lawn chairs
- Canopy/umbrella (stakes/weights are required!)